Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Recovery, Sisters and the Greatest Gift

The last day in the hospital and transfer to the hotel after my discharge and instructions from the nurses and Dr. McGinn was a triumphant one for me and one of accomplishment for me in a very beautiful but difficult week. Kiddingly, Dr. McGinn referred to me by Thursday as her senior and three other girls underwent GCS or GCS and BA following my lead on Monday. Terry, the mid fifties lawyer from NJ had her procedures performed on Tuesday and she pretty much operated on her own without support. Barah the 29 year old local gal whose job is best described as “the female Homer Simpson with intelligence” had her surgeries on Wednesday and she had several friends with her for support. She unfortunately needed it as she had the biggest setback of all as she tore a stitch straining to expunge gas and had to have it repaired and the administration of two pints of blood. She cried a lot after it happened and she was depressed understandably. Barah gave me the best compliment on Thursday when I came to see her on my limited walks with a walker and held her hand and tried to comfort her ….she said “ Melissa your hand is so soft and feminine” Paula also visited her as well as Terry since she had no one with her. On Thursday, Marcy from Orlando Florida (the freshman) underwent her procedures and she had only visits from her previously estranged father of 15 years and of course our floor angel Paula as well as myself during my brief walks. We would be the class of the week of May 18th and the last of the month of May for Christine McGinn.
As I mentioned all of us struggled with the pressure of gas due to the fact we had purged for days and only slowly had regained appetites. I know I did not pass gas until the nurses stood me to stand on Wednesday morning and I was embarrassed as I did so in front of them but they said “Don’t worry Melissa…let her rip”. By Thursday night I was expunging the gas pressure buildup so frequently that when my physician asked about it I responded by saying that “ I have not passed so much gas since when I was in my college days and went to White Castle after a night of beer drinking at the clubs” . Dr. McGinn who always tries to maintain friendliness but decorum almost lost it with my reply and instead said on that note; she would see me in the morning.
Paula and I showed up at the hotel on Friday night and she got me to the room where I collapsed on the bed. I would be still wearing the catheter and have my packing in from the surgery. I was weak and had trouble bending, pulling myself out of bed or getting myself onto the toilet and walking or standing were only tolerable. Despite the pain and discomfort as I mentioned in the first part of this discussion last week I had made a conscious effort to wean myself from all the drug so I took my last pain pill on Friday night and never touched them again. The other girls including several twenty years my junior kept pounding them like candy for many more than the five days I took them and one took hers every four hours regularly. They did not understand how I tolerated the pain and discomfort without the pain medications. I am not sure how I did it myself except I am notorious for going down hard early and then coming back strong and dealing with the pain. Secondly, I pushed myself to walk everyday and many chose not to do so – choosing instead to stay in their hotel room because they did not look the best (like that was even possible after what we all had just undergone. Also many did not like getting out and about with all the packing in or catheter attached but I did not let these things stop me.
Three times a day I walked the floors of the hotel, I bought several long stretch cotton flowing peasant skirts which I use to conceal the catheter. As for the walk well it was not very lady like as they say and more resembled a cowboy after a long hard ride but you try walking with 12 feet of packing shoved up your cavity and we will see how you do indeed! Walking and resting and taking my vitamins and antibiotics began my daily course for several days. By Monday night I wanted to tear the packing out myself and remove the catheter and I could not wait for Tuesday morning and my first post op visit to Dr. McGinn’s office. The first thing I learned to do when arrived there was, even with some soreness and stiffness, to get into the stirrup chair. I will have to say that really does put one in a very open and vulnerable position for sure. Dr. McGinn then removed about twelve feet of packing from my new vagina and Paula counted the feet as they came out. Do you remember the old magic trick where the magician pulls out the scarf that never seems to end out of the hat? That trick pales in comparison to what my surgeon did in the removal of the packing. Then came the separation of my catheter which had been my restroom for eight days by my physician. After all the removals had been accomplished the moment of truth was upon us as she lowered a mirror down to reflect her work and my new anatomy – one that would finally reflect my true essence of a woman. I was stunned and overcome with emotion as she did this ….there it was …my vagina. She told me about all the swelling and scars and bruising but despite all those things it was the most beautiful reflection to ever come from that area of my body. I almost cried and Paula said I begin to glow radiantly. I could not believe the ugly parts that never felt right on my body were gone and they were replaced by a beautiful vagina. Dr. McGinn then conducted neew anatomy 101 and went through all the specs on my new correct genitalia. This was followed by first gift……....a package containing two dilators that I soon would become my new “best friends”. The smaller one was pinkish color and I later nicknamed it “The Pink Lady” and the larger powder blue one I nicknamed affectionately “Mistress Blue” I suspect Mistress Blue was going to hurt a bit ….LOL. Dr. McGinn demonstrated the process of dilating and then had me do it under her supervision. Everything went smoothly and I was now on her rigorous schedule of dilation as Dr. McGinn requires dilation six times a day for the for the first eight weeks before dropping to four and so forth over time. No other physician performing this surgery requires this level of frequency but she believes optimal results are obtained with a very rigorous dilation schedule and so my life over the initial 8 weeks will be spent largely in recovery and in cycle of regular and frequent dilations! After we left Dr. McGinn’s office I returned to the hotel and enjoyed the pleasures of a hot steamy shower- the first one in eight days. Oh My God did it feel so good…real body wash, hot water, shampoo and conditioner ….it was like heaven and I will admit I was not good with water conservation on that use but after eight long days I needed it badly!!! After freshening up I got comfortable on the bed and did my first dilation on my own. In time, I knew I would grow far more comfortable with the process.
On Wednesday, Paula and I went out to pick up some supplies after dining Tuesday evening with Terry the woman who had her surgery the day after mine. She is a practicing lawyer in New York and NJ. She immigrated from England and still carries the English accent. She is a delightful gal and hopes to find a nice gentleman to spend her time with after she recovers from all this we went through. Paula looked in on her a great deal during the week while she recovered at the hotel. Paula and I also decided on Wednesday to pick up some pies and a thank you card for the nursing staff who took such good care of me during my stay. It was good to see the ladies again and they were so surprised to see me and talked about how wonderful I looked and clearly appreciated the gesture of our gifts and cards. I truly could not believe how these people provided such outstanding care and each one of them before they left their last shift before I left came up to me and held my hand and wished me well in my future. I was deeply touched by their warmth and the outstanding care they provided! .
We ate dinner that night with the young friends of the girl who had her surgery two days after me named Barah. Barah had had a bit of a rough time and was now cautious and did not join us. She is a beautiful young girl who was the local gal living only thirty minutes away. She is a control operator at a nuclear power plant. Yes- she is the female Homer Simpson although with a wee bit more intelligence than that of the bumbling cartoon character. Her friends Kate and Lindsey were great company. Barah like Terry also is interested in finding a guy to date now that her physical transition is complete. She got her catheter and packing out on Thursday shortly after my second visit to Dr. McGinn. At this visit,Dr. McGinn did some revisions, rechecked the depth and approved my departure. She also gave me two wonderful gifts. The first was my affidavits that I would be able to use to change my gender marker on my legal documents. I loved reading it. The second gift was a butterfly necklace made from a wing of butterfly that had died naturally. It was beautiful and it represented my freedom to soar as my true self- Melissa. I had now emerged fully from the shell that trapped me for so long to soar as the beautiful butterfly I am and always have been in my life!
We dined with Barah and Terry and Barah’s good friend Kate on Thursday and we all hugged one another and promised to stay in touch. On Friday Paula and I spent several hours visiting the girl who had her surgery four days after me and she was still in some pain. She was a young beautiful girl who does hard outdoor work despite her petite frame and stature. She spoke Spanish fluently and had immigrated to Florida from Uruguay. Marcy had only recently reconnected with her father who was obviously struggling with her child being transgendered. Marcy also would like to find a nice man to date. Yes- I was the only lesbian in the girls of week of May 18th. Sometimes I wonder why but more and more girls seem to seek men as their partner after transition either because of society’s pressures to fit in after an already stressful life or sometimes maybe the need to validate themselves as woman with the traditional fare of a man. I am glad they will find happiness in their partners following transition. The softness and sweetness and passion of another woman somehow escape these girls but I am not sure why this occurs. I hope each of my sisters who shared my time with as we went through the surgery and recovery together find peace and happiness in their journey. To each their own, of course and each must find their own path in this journey. I wish them nothing but sheer happiness for life is best filled with happiness than with misery for sure!
After packing few things and getting some dinner, Paula and I prepared for our return trip home where I would continue my recovery. I feel stronger each day and getting more strength back as I exercise by walking and resting in between the frequent dilations. Just about the time I get myself back to a good comfort level with my strength and recovery it will be time to do this all again – albeit with the roles reversed and Paula undergoing the process. She knows what to expect and I know what she will be feeling. I will need to find my strength to be her supportive loving partner and help her get through all of this surgery and recovery. It is her time to shine and the focus must be all on her and her needs! I hope I can be as good in this role as she was for me in mine. I wonder whether any other girls will be undergoing their surgery that week with her and if so I wonder whether any will have partners or even be lesbians. I know she will be happy to gaze down upon the work of Dr. McGinn and see the reflection she always felt should have been reflected back in the mirror. In the meantime …..I think it is either time for me to walk, take some vitamins and supplements or dilate again so I bid you all a farewell till next time …..Thanks again for all your loving support and kindness during my surgery and recovery! Hugs, Melissa
I hope you enjoy the slide show of my journey in New Hope and if you want to read the sptions for the pics you will need to keep the curser in play so the film strip shows on the side which pics advance…….




Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

No comments: