Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why I Write


Why do I write these blogs? That is a good question my friends and an even better one is why I write anything at all. Some people on here complain about all the “drama” or ranting that is involved in some of the blogs found on the net, including I am sure, mine from time to time. However, anyone is free to write about what they wish to write about and express and anyone is free to read it or not. Comments are encouraged but not required as well. Blogging is just another form of expression and is a free exchange of ideas and thoughts by individuals which helps the reader understand the author better and is necessary for our interaction as human beings. The moment we stop communicating with each other on this planet is the moment we are all in trouble my friends. Blogging is just another form of communication created by the evolution of internet which has vastly help connect people on this planet.

We have some very talented writers in our transgendered community and I do not consider myself among them but I write anyway for reasons I will explain in a bit. I absolutely love to read Jamie’s blogs and was very disappointed when she stopped publishing them a while ago. Although I don’t always agree with her, and it would be surprising for any human being to always do so, she is an extremely intelligent person who writes thought provoking blogs that facilitate the free exchange of ideas. I also adore reading Cyndy’s blogs as she has a wit and humor not found in too many places and it is always delightful to read her thoughts and ideas. Although slowed by her travels, surgeries and recovery physically and emotionally, I have always enjoyed reading Chloe’s blogs as she journeyed toward the completion of her transition and some of the best stuff was her and Jamie’s exchanges and banter which sometimes had me rolling on the floor with laughter. Others I particularly enjoy who have talent include Zelda Rose from Texas, Monique Monet from Cincinnati and Diane Darcy from Chicago. There many others I read. Of course, I always read the blogs of my girl Paula. Paula is not the most eloquent writer- as it is not her forte. However, I will tell you this she writes straight up and straight from her heart as any good writer should do.

So why do I write? I have always loved to write ever since I was a young child. I started writing about the same time Melissa was emerging in my life around age 10-11. I wrote many short stories and essays throughout middle and high school years which I still have today in journals stored up in the attic. My teachers loved my work except for the grammar and spelling errors but I almost always got an A for the creativity and imagination portions of the grade (thank heavens for the creation of spell and grammar checks huh?)
I even wrote a novella and a novel in high school and one of them was read by the teacher to my classmates as she took a few minutes each day and read from the chapters. For some reason, I stopped writing when I got to college except for term papers and exams and work took up too much time for me to think about my writing. My daughter has always enjoyed writing and took several creative writing classes in school where teachers found her work to be talented and imaginative. She was encouraged and to write and still does so today.

One day my daughter gave her teacher some of the compilations of my writings from when I was age 12-18. Her creative writing teacher told her “After seeing your father’s work, you write with a similar style and creativity that is expressed in his work” This incident occurred a few years ago when Melissa’s re-emergence (among the many) was taking place and I began to feel the need to express my thoughts once again. So I began to write again and this time it was in the form of blogs. The blogs let me do several things. First, it provides a method of letting me write again and that brings me great joy. Some people like to fish or play racquetball or sew..….I enjoy writing! Secondly, it works like a journal and lets me express my feelings and thoughts about life in general and life as a transgendered person. I find it very peaceful. I don’t know if I have anything extraordinary to say or whether I ever invoke thoughts or ideas in others or not. I have been fortunate to have a few of my pieces published in some transgendered magazines and newsletters and that has been very nice of them do so. Maybe from time to time I strike a cord somewhere or offer a small tidbit on a new way to look at things but the important thing is that I am writing again and I thoroughly and truly enjoy it. That is all that really matters anyway. I throw my two cents out there in the vast pot of ideas and thoughts we exchange and maybe somewhere it lands and finds a place to grow. The free exchange of ideas is a very good thing in our society and is truly necessary if we are to continue to advance as a society and co-exist with others who are here with us on our life journeys. Meanwhile, I am back doing something I truly enjoy in this life which by the way, is way too short!

Above pic is me taking a break form writing to get my ears pierced!

No comments: