Saturday, April 5, 2008

Anyone got a Light? (Spring 2007)

It is a strange phenomena and one of exploration and observation but I have seriously wondered about the link between being transgendered and smoking. I, for one, am a non smoker and have been all my life (well at least of tobacco products). However, I am clearly a minority in the transgendered community
(Not that bothers me any). I would safely estimate that probably 75 % of all transgendered girls I know smoke cigarettes. Like I said, it does not deter me from going to the clubs or other activities with my sisters and it rarely , if ever bothers me . It has just never been my cup of tea as they say. I don't smoke in boy mode so I never have had any desire to do so as Melissa.
However, it does interest me that such a high number of t-girls smoke. I know most of the girls smoke in boy mode as well so it just carries over in their feminine side as well. I have met several transgendered people and they told me that they do not smoke in boy mode but enjoy smoking when enfemme and this has me wondering even more. What drives so many of us to smoke and what would drive a t- girl to smoke even though she does not smoke when in her boy mode? I have met and chatted with a few girls who consider smoking to be a "fetish” and this only makes me wonder even more.
What could be possible explanations for this phenomenon? If only say 35-40% of population smokes then why would 75% of t-girls engage in such activity? Is it because they may be nervous about their transgendered nature and all that entails for themselves , their loved ones and society's feelings about it and smoking helps them relax? Is it because t- girls see themselves with cigarettes in hand and like the look of lipstick adorning the butt of the cigarette? Maybe its that transgendereds have an oral fixation (Wow did that just open a can of controversy) and this fixation is satisfied with a good smoke? I don't know the answers ......I just raise the questions and express my observations. However, I can foresee a federal grant being awarded for this study..Yeah sure ...but in the meantime, smoke them if you got um and I will not complain..However, I won’t be offering you a light either (just one more thing I don't have room for in my purse).

No comments: