Friday, April 4, 2008

Being (southern) comforted while pondering the risking of it all ( Fall 2007)

These transgendered conferences are truly wonderful but they sure can wear you out- that is for sure. This week I crammed a trip to Atlanta and my first visit to SCC in a week I really did not need to with my impending work week. However, my curiosity of this intriguing event got the best of me and last Wednesday I drove by myself eight hours to Atlanta mostly due to the fact I could not find someone to share a ride with which would have made the trip more fun, less tiring and cheaper and due to the fact I was unsuccessful in finding an airfare that did not cost me a body part. Today (Sunday) I find myself even more worn out in driving back (can’t figure out how that happened but maybe it had something do with the fact I lived on a few hours of sleep each night during my stay.- just a wild guess) As I sit in my favorite road spot Panera Bread taking a coffee break I decided to write my blog about my thoughts about the largest transgendered conference in the world –SCC.

This convention is different from many others because it truly is a transgendered event for all transgendered people. Some conferences focus on crossdressers or just t-girls but this event is open to and attended by everyone form the occasional CD to the full blown transitioned girl as well as gender benders and transmen. That alone makes it unique and different from many other events. I enjoy these events for many reasons even though I am out frequently either myself or with a other friends expressing Melissa. First of all, the sheer fact that nearly 900 people attended SCC is incredible and it is always nice to be immersed in a
Community of like minded people (not implying we all clones but you know what I mean – we have for more in common than we do have differences and being surrounded by many friends in the community always enriches me and gives me even more strength to face the rest of the world as transgendered person because that is who I am and always will be! I am a part of the community and the community is part of me. Secondly, although the social activities and workshops are entertaining and fun as well as a chance to gain more information, one of my favorite things is to interact with others on a one on one basis over a drink whether in the lounge or over the morning coffee( thank God for the coffee shop in the lobby !) I had my first opportunity to meet and chat with a transman and find out what his life was like and how it compared to those of us going the other direction. I chatted with several girls transitioning and how they have “survived” the surgery, the work situations and relationships – many inundated with battle wounds and scars. One I chatted with one evening looked me in the eye and said “Melissa – nothing in this world can be obtained if you want it bad enough and it is worth obtaining without being able to be willing to risk everything! A few years ago that would have left me running for cover but now I know she is right and I simply nodded my head to her. I also met with a couple who is fighting to stay together despite the husband’s full transition in which we discussed rights and legalities on this complex issue. I also chatted with a another spouse who through all sorts of questions at me about things like grandchildren, weddings of my children and such should I go the route of transitioning and living full time as Melissa and these were fair questions and invoked some good discussion about the future and even the future of the tg movement in our society. There was also lots of discussion both in general and overt the dinner tables about the legislation before Congress regarding employment rights for the LGBT community members and the Hate Crimes Bill both of which the President has threatened to veto. Finally, for the first time ever a career expo was held at SCC in which companies such as American Airlines, Microsoft and others came and held a job fair to discuss career opportunities with transgendered people.

I had a truly wonderful time meeting people and seeing some of the city, socializing and shopping but clearly my favorite times were the discussions with others over a drink or coffee or at dinner. These discussions enrich me, they help guide me in my journey and they engage my mind and afterward I seem to grow stronger even if they raise more questions than answer them. It was wonderful to see so many transgendered people in one place and I believe our future will be one of progress for dignity and rights and acceptance but again it will not come without sacrifice and sorrow and anguish. But again – we must remember if the cause and goal is truly worthwhile we must be willing to risk it all. Sleep well my friends and I wish each of you peace and happiness in your journey and in our journey together as transgendered people.

No comments: