Friday, April 4, 2008

The Transgendered Soul

The Transgendered Soul by: Melissa Ann Pink

I have spent many years meeting and chatting with other transgendered people across the country and it seems each week I happily add more to the list for I truly feel I am enriched by my interaction with my sisters. I am always just a bit skeptical when I talk with sisters who believe they can control their transgendered nature to such extent that they can deny its presence and somehow put it aside or on a shelf or even deny it outright. I have talked and met with many sisters who have told me they can go months without expressing their feminine side. Others have told me that they have “purged” and restocked their closet so many times the process has obviously provide much needed clothing to Goodwill and other similar facilities. I knew one girl that would buy hundreds of dollars worth of clothes and have others get even more for her after which she would wear them for a few days and then out of guilt and shame and fear would throw them all away in dumpsters. If that girl had been my size I would have become a dumpster crab for sure rummaging through the discarded clothes to find treasures for my closet! I have girls tell me that shut down their feminine side and expressions of the same when they are dating a GG like they could actually go through life and repress their transgendered spirit simply because the spouse or girlfriend would not approve of them being transgendered…like the approval of a SO is necessary for you to be transgendered.

I have news for all these girls - purge, deny and cease dressing or expressing your feminine side all you want – for it shall do no good and you are only kidding yourself. Clothes do not a transgendered person make. You could have a large wardrobe or a few items of clothing – it is not relevant. You could never dress again if that is possible and would not change who you are – ever! Being transgendered is not merely wearing clothes of the genetically born opposite gender. It is the core of our existence – it is who we are …it is our being, our essence …our soul! We have no idea what causes it and does it matter what does cause it? It is the one of the essential characteristics that define who we are as a person. We think differently than non transgendered people and that is neither good or bad it is just part of who we are as people. You can try to deny yourself any opportunities to express your transgendered nature but that does not make you no longer a transgendered person. One is transgendered for life and it is not something you can turn on and off and on, deny or “purge” from you. You can toss your entire wardrobe out onto the street or burn every pair of panties you own in a display of rejection but guess what- you cannot purge your soul, your essence of who you are – your being. It is there that our transgendered essence lies and will lie for as long we breathe the air on this planet.

I have said many times you can either accept it or not or even go beyond that point like many of us have and actually embrace it and nurturer it. Whether you embrace it or not is not relevant to the fact you are transgendered because that is who you are as a being. It is our essence of who we are- our being and therefore it cannot be purged, turned off and on like a switch or even denied …it is our transgendered soul. I hope all my sisters will embrace it and cherish it and even express it but if you rather chose otherwise you are still my sister and you are still transgendered!

1 comment:

The Ubiquitous Mr. P said...

Hi Melissa,
You came up on a google search! I was trying to see how our website was doing and you appeared. I am glad to find another kindred soul. We have a transgendered group in the Inland Empire of California. Please see our website at:
www.transgendered-soul.com

Paris (ftm)