Friday, April 4, 2008

Eclectic clubbing and sausages (Summer 07)

I have decided I love clubs that are “eclectic”. Its not that I have had any problem with so called “straight” clubs as long as I am accepted and treated well and with friends as I am cool with just about any place. Additionally I am comfortable in the alternative clubs and have been accepted at those establishments for many long years but sometimes those clubs seemed a tad focused on a particular aspect of the GBLT community. For example, many times the so called “gay” clubs have cliques of men that seem to ignore us girls when it comes to dancing even though dancing is just fun and its not going to kill a guy to ask a girl to dance even if he is gay. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with having fun on the dance floor. The same sometimes is true of the so called “lesbian” clubs and there are exceptions to the general principles for sure as I not into many labels and generalities for sure.

The eclectic clubs I have experienced however in cities like Seattle, Chicago Washington DC, Lexington KY and most recently this past Friday in Ann Arbor, MI at the Necto seem to be the best for having fun, dancing and meeting people. That is, of course, is due to several factors. First they tend to be younger clubs where the median age of the attendees is about 23-24 years old. My philosophy is this – although I am well past that age- if you want to feel young then be with young people and have fun with them. It makes you feel younger than you are and that is a good thing my friends. Secondly the music at these types of clubs tends to be upbeat techno music that is rhythmic and easy to dance to and thus have fun with all those young people. Most importantly however is the mixture of people at these eclectic clubs feeds the energy and helps makes it fun for everyone. The club I a mixture of all that compose society, gays, lesbians, bisexuals, curious, straights, gothic, metro sexual and everything in between.

The mixture of elements makes them fun places to be and I did have fun with my friends, Paula, Tamera, Mandie and the very old Ranae (born in 63 my who know what!) on my first visit to Ann Arbor. It’s a very nice town and I enjoyed chatting with the girls over dinner and some pool as we waited for Erica to join us. Then it was off to Necto where consumption of the fishbowl concoctions took place. I still like the fact I got my discounted because I had to wait for the bowls to come out. The bartender still got a nice tip from me for sure! The music vibrated the rhythmic beat and soon it called it us all to the floor for dancing with many people joining in to dance with us and many comments by the patrons of how nice it was we came out to party and have fun with them. Now I will admit I have to work on my pole dancing as it has never been my strong point to say the least and Mandie and Paula have the evidence to demonstrate this fact. However, I had fun which is all that matters and I had fun with my friends and that matters even more to me. When the night was over we still had all sorts of people interacting with us and the placed buzzed with energy. The exit from the parking garage with the line from hell was the only down side to the night other than a certain incident, the image of which is still burned into my brain as I write this blog. Oh well. By the way, if you see Tamera sometime ask her how she likes her sausages …..I suspect that it is somewhat on the darker side but heck I am just taking a wild guess there. It’s all part of the feel to eclectic clubs such as Necto and many other I have visited and hope to visit again.

No comments: