Friday, April 4, 2008

Warmth and bonding after pins and needles (Jan 08)

While the weather has been warm in southern California long hours of work have pretty much prevented me from the experiencing it other than the occasional mid afternoon break on the patio of the hotel convention center.
I have spent a good part of the last week working with my usual group in which I am technically the only “boy” on the project. It has been fun and for the most part the girls accept me in their circle and we dine and drink together as we try to kill off the long 12-14 hour days of stress which usually includes heavy doses of alcohol and story telling. I think they do wonder a bit about me as I was very quick to critically comment of the attire of some of the young ladies on the streets or at our hotel where another social function was taking place in a display of fashion knowledge that would knock the panty hose right off the best fashion magazine critic! Several of my coworkers have noticed the long shiny fingernails which adorn my hands but they seem a bit afraid to almost ask the questions about them as if they are not sure they want to know all those answers. The girls have clearly enjoyed working with me as they always do when we work together. Late night girl talk and discussion of all sorts of issues have made them very comfortable with me but I know down the road that times, as I, will change and hopefully my fellow colleagues in my field who are predominately women will see and accept me as one of their own At least the foundation for such has been built over early morning java and late night concoctions of alcohol!

Earlier this week I began my electrolysis work on my face and I managed to endure three hours of this wonderful experience which reminded me of my old track coach who use to yell “ No pain…No Gain” whenever I tended to slack during my early season conditioning. Little pins and needles penetrating the skin and then being zapped like the bug zapper snatches life form the senseless fly that strays into its vicious path and then being quickly yanked away form my face. The pain only last for a second or two but the cumulative effect of work in areas like those under your nose and over your lip is enough to cause balls of tears to form in your eyes and your sinuses to run like the Mohave River! I did the whole three hour session without any creams or such, relying solely on a single left over pain pill which clearly needed reinforcement. I know that despite the pain I must push forward and stay with program as they say to achieve the desired effects I long for…no more shaving …smoother, softer and more feminine skin and the rid of the hair I despise to have anywhere on my body! It’s the drive that keeps me coming back for more of these sessions of fun!

No comments: