Friday, April 4, 2008

Bon Soir Madamoiselle Pink ( Summer 2007)

Hello from fabulous Montréal! Home of the “the world’s largest village for the GBLT community” and masses of French speaking people. Yes, for the second time this year, I got to venture to Canada and you know me, if I have time during my travel, Melissa goes exploring. One of these days I just may sit down and write the Transgendered guide to travel and attractions in North America. In January, I got to visit Toronto and the Village there. Although the “Village” in Toronto encompasses more square footage than its counterpart here, two things separate it and give it its world wide distinction. First, the Village in Montreal (“le Village”) is pure GBLT and the Village in Toronto is spread out among area containing a university and stores that while accepting, are not geared or focused on our community. Le Village in Montreal, formally known as Le Gay Village before it became politically incorrect to exclude lesbians, bisexuals and transgendereds which make up the LBGT community, is a concentrated area in which all the shops, restaurants, bars, pubs, clubs, hotels and Band B’s are devoted to the GBLT community. On weekends in the summer, they literally block off car traffic in the Village so it becomes one giant multi block party in the heart of the vibrant city of Montreal which clearly has the feel of a European city unlike Toronto. Secondly, this “European” area feel is also enhanced by the fact French, and not English, is the customarily spoken and clearly preferred language of Montreal and the province of Quebec.

Now I know there are many in the US who have this distaste for the French and lets face it, the French have not been the best defenders of their land over history, but how can anyone in the LGBT community not truly appreciate the very people who gave us fine wine, classic art, gay Paris, cabaret and in Montreal “le Village”. Additionally, French is such a romantic language and one of love and romance. You can say almost everything in French and it will sound better( think Chevy Chase in European Vacation where the waiter clearly insults him but since he rolled off such beautiful French with a smile Chase actually thinks he is warm and friendly and likes him). Finally, any place that takes French fries and then pours gravy and cheese over them (poutine frites) and calls them a delicacy is fine in my book! C’est beau!

The Village in Montreal is an easy metro ride from downtown and in fact could really even be walked if you have a bit of time. You exit at the Beaudry metro stop on the green line and this places you in the heart of the Village and just in case you think you may have missed it the giant pillars of the building of this Metro stop are painted in the rainbow colors of the flag of our community, a flag by the way that flies proudly in nearly every establishment in the Village. I proceeded to find my Band B which was only a block form the Metro station and got settled in there. Most of the small hotels and Band B’s in the Village are operated by those in the GBLT community and mine was no different. BBV was operated by a warm and friendly gay couple. I chatted with them that evening on the deck before I headed out for the evening. Having seen me in boi mode upon arrival they were very sweet in raving over my stunning younger looks as Melissa.
I wore a very tight and very short red dress with my black heels which they kindly complimented and several other as I walked around gave me meows and cat calls but it was on in fun and if you are wearing an outfit like that it is something you wanted to hear anyway! The BBV had wonderful cozy rooms, a deck and Jacuzzi and they provided a fabulous breakfast the next morning including warm croissants and cranberry bread and much needed hot coffee. The reading materials scattered about the area near the bedrooms, showers, kitchen area and deck were definitely more interesting than your common Time or Newsweek magazines for sure!

Through out the night and early morning, as I did not arrive back at my Band B until 3AM, I walked around these neat colorful village stopping to browse at a shop or to have a drink in a pub and I was openly accepted by every place I went to without question. My early part of the evening was spent in a wonderful little bistro where I sat and dined on seafood and a bottle of Pinot Noir and chatted with his colorful gay man named Louie. We talked about how life was different in Montreal and how he teaches elementary school where his fellow teachers and administration and many parents support him and are well aware of his alternative lifestyle including his fourth grade students. How many people in the same situation outside of the west coast could say the same thing in America? He explained the village in more detail to me, introduced me to some of his friends who came in as well as the chef who he knew well. We talked about how things were different in the states and clearly that we have but desperately need some places like le Village in the US. Oh, I can just see the intense loathing and vigorous protests from the narrow minded religious right now about “Sodom and Gomorrah” being brought to America should that happen anytime soon. Louie chatted about love and life and we laughed and enjoyed outstanding delicious food and good wine. (C’etait delicieux) He was kind enough to take my picture as I sat in the Bistro.

After diner I resumed my search of clubs and pubs and enjoyed the fact I was not going to be driving that evening so I free to relax and have fun. Finally, I arrived at one of the most famous clubs in le Village in Cabaret Mado where it was packed for the nightly entertainment. The drag queens were fabulous and had many outrageous costumes. There were at least 9 or 10 performers and the emcee was hilarious although she spoke French and I had to go more on gestures with my limited knowledge of French language. They performed for nearly two and half hours in split sets with dancing by the audience on stage in between the sets. I met several girls there. The first one I met I actually thought in all seriousness was a genetic girl and only by talking with her did I discover she wasn’t. Passable did not even begin to describe this lady. The girls were very nice and we sat and talked about the transgendered communities in our respective locations and drank and danced and watched the wonderful shows. Most of them like me love to get out and do other things besides clubbing such as shopping and dining and sightseeing. The night ended around three o’clock with my short block and half trip back to my Band B. I did have to spend an hour or so fending off the insistent but friendly advances of a gentleman whose intensions of getting me back to my bedroom for sex were fairly obvious. His heavy French accent and whisperings of sweet nothings I guess it made it flattering but he was harmless. I ended the night by saying my goodbyes to my sisters from Montreal in the traditional French greeting of exchanging kisses on each cheek. Sisters and friends I highly recommend a visit to le Village should your travels ever take you to Montreal. I had so much fun here in Montreal and definitely want to return. Until then my friends, Bon Soir and au revoir mademoiselles!

No comments: